Monday, June 16, 2008

Mature VS Realistic

I have always been mixed-up how people describe a person as mature or realistic.
Curious about the different meanings of Mature and Realistic, I looked up Merriam-Webster Dictionary online and found these:

Mature
based on slow careful consideration <mature judgment>

Realistic (Realism)
concern for fact or reality and rejection of the impractical and visionary

In my own words I guess realistic means you're able to differentiate between reality/fact and fantasy/dream.
Words that I think would associate with it is solid, tangible, high-possibility, safe.
(this is disasterous for children book-writers =p)

Mature is based on your consideration or judgements.
Whether how well one is able to think critically before deciding.
(does this mean fast decision-making means immature? =p as long as it careful enough?)

One can be realistic and yet immature.
But can one be mature and yet un-realistic?
Realistic is part of the sub-set for mature-thinking?
hmm... (am I learning anything here? haha... maybe I need to get an English tutor =p)
Interesting, isn't it?
Think about it.

Just another wild pondering of my brain.

Look at the stuff I have for you to ponder:

The older we get, the more mature and realistic we'll become.
TRUE or FALSE?

How do you describe an older person?
a. Mature? or just simply Realistic?
b. Their constant contact with reality makes them more
mature? or more realistic?


1 comment:

SOP said...

Which party do you think will form the next government of Malaysia ?

Express your feeling at votingmalaysia.blogspot.com

Let's gather 1 million votes together, hand in hand.